A History of the Claudia House
Along with exporting the Reading Program, The Claudia Foundation will concentrate on bringing to the Claudia House, culturally significant events, exhibits and entertainers to share with the community. We will also participate on mechanically maintaining (no small issue) this historically important building.
Poplar Bluff’s famous Claudia House, encases the original Bloodworth family home which belonged to Linda’s grandparents. The house was greatly expanded from it original beginning floor plan of the early 1900’s.
An English Company — Artisans of Crowther of Syon Lodge (the same company that re-built the war ravaged Windsor Castle in the 1660’s) constructed the giant library in London, disassembled it, and sent it by ship to New Orleans. It was then sent by barge up the Mississippi river to Cape Girardeau, Mo. and trucked the last 60 miles to Poplar Bluff.
The builders came from London and spent over six months in Poplar Bluff reassembling the library. One of the workers remarked it was, “the best adventure of his life!” They loved Poplar Bluff and several have been back for visits over the years.
The formal gardens surrounding the house are enhanced with European statuary. It is truly a place of beauty and historical significance.