Some Things You Probably Didn’t Know About the Foundation
- It is a 501c3 non-profit foundation dedicated to providing scholarships and opportunities for girls and women to explore their personal goals through educational and cultural programs.
- The Foundation has given 132 scholastic scholarships and also serves as a cultural haven for the community;
- It has given 41 “Designing Women” Scholarships in excess of $1.8 million to young women attending major institutions such as Duke University, Vanderbilt University, Wellesley College and many other higher education institutions across the U.S.
- It has awarded 53 Three Rivers Community College Non-traditional Student Scholarships, totaling more than $95,000;
- It started the Charlie Classics Reading Program in 1991, which offers Poplar Bluff students the opportunity to read classic literature and receive aid to help with college. Students are encouraged to read 100 teacher-approved selections and have them mentored by community volunteers to receive help. (over 300 citizens of Poplar Bluff have served as mentors);
- It has exposed over 30,000 Poplar Bluff students to the Charlie Classics Reading Program, as well as given over 3,000 books to the Popular Bluff school system;
- It has awarded 52 Charlie Classics reading scholarships, which includes more than $250,000 in scholastic scholarships and incentives.